Friday, September 07, 2007

Some things don't change + Culture clash

So I went to the 'Nigeria House' on Northumberland Avenue yesterday and I must say, you can take the boy out of the farm, but you sure can't take the farm out of the boy.


Why don't we have good customers' services? Why? Why is it that, even right in the heart of london, the wooden floors of the consular reception are coming out?Why is it that the pieces that are out are still left right in the middle of the floor...screaming health and safety hazard!!!??' Why is it that the security man at the door acts as a receptionist at the same time as a customer adviser??Why is the environment so unfriendly??

Anyway I went to get my passport re-issued as my perfume had spilt on it in my bag (i mean i can't use it to travel but it smells goooood lol), I got there and it was my first time of going there..and it just looked and felt like I was back in naig...in First Bank minus my mum trying to withdraw money back in the 90's....
I stepped in, took a good look around..saw the gloomy/grumpy faces sitting and standing around and thought to myself 'Ohh no! I'm not doing this today'. There was no order!
So I walked over to the 'receptionist' gave him a bright smile and asked him 'how things worked around here' and well...he did everything for me...some folks got upset but i was out of there really fast! But it was kind of disappointing anyway.

So anyway...Someone got me all emotional today..

You were so beautiful I couldn't take my eyes off you
Was it the way your blue eyes lit up or the eyelashes that seemed to go on forever
I didn't understand a word of your polish language but all I saw was innocence
Child... no, please don't pucker up to the window
They're dirty and germ-infested
Just like a lot of places in this world are
Doesn't mean you won't survive...because I am
A lot of people will try to rob you of your innocence, sweet one
But the treasures of your heart belong to you alone
And those you choose to let in
I almost asked your mum for a picture of us
But then how can she be sure I'm not just some pervert
Because we do live in a perverse world
But just as I see purity and innocence in you
I pray you will always see that and much more
Because even in this ugly world
There will always be beauty around you
My sweet beautiful girl
So I have this wish to adopt a child from at least each continent....Big plans I know, but it's something I've always wanted. Anyway today after my breath-taking encounter with this child, I started thinking...how would it work out? First I have to pray that my husband is someone who will like the idea of adopting a lot of kids plus the ones we have..but then there is the issue of raising non-nigerians in a nigerian culture...? I am still a bit lost about this...I mean there is nothing bad in raising them in the nigerian culture...it is just preserving each one's culture that will be a bit of work... Hhhmm.. Maybe opening a house for orphans will be a way out? I still have a lot of time to decide anyway.
Kk, I'm done being emotional... at least on here.
Have a fab weekend.
~Mimi~

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweet sister, how av u been? u dont wanna know how much av missed you.. howz mom? u take kia ok? love u loads

EXCITEDJADE

Lighty 'neferet' Kopearl said...

u still on about those kids uhh? dont worry it'll work out in between where did u find ur passport?
so u went to Nigeria, wow! did u bring mi back gala and golden morn?? lol!!!

BiMbyLaDs** said...

awwww. u went to las gidi. how was it? nice idea on the orphanage thingy

Sam Oracle said...

First time here.
Nice blog.

Femme said...

you have a good heart.

laspapi said...

That naija thing...someday we'll correct it all. It just takes time for Osmosis to get to our Consulates abroad. Even our banks are getting better (apart from UBA and those "old" banks), if you begin to "yell" now, a manager runs out to sort your matter.

How are you, ~idol~?

Anonymous said...

http://www.hutterites.org/bridge/?p=506

LASGIDI/ NY said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Its so funny i have a friend that also wants to adopt a child from each continent, i wish you all the best.

Admin UD said...

Yea, the NIgerian embassies are always a sad story, most of them, anyways. And don't you worry, God will defo give you that exact man you need and you'll be sursprised how things will come out in da end.

Maybe yuo can even start THE MIMI VILLAGE and populate them with the adopted kids. How does that sound :)

Tkia!

Manda said...

Good to know pple like u still exist o! Keep up da good work. Ur template is soo cute!

Uzo said...

Take a page from Brangelina...They have said they want each child's culture to be maintained....

Its a noble thing but getting the right partner is key...

Miss Opeke said...

After reading this post, I am so praying that I don't have to go to that office. I have read and hear a lot of stories about the one here in Yankee...God save us...

I also like to adopt but I have noticed that 9ja are not opened to that kind of idea...

laspapi said...

here again, m'lazy ~idol~, when r u gonna update?

Favoured Girl said...

You are right, some things don't change. Nigerian organisations in the UK simply import their attitude, they don't care to adapt to the expectations of their customers anywhere...
I like your idea to adopt lots of kids. I hope you have a husband that is happy about that.

laspapi said...

~mimi~!!!!!!!

LadyD2k said...

Hey you! Funny post, yeah Nigerian consulate never fails to leave an impression no matter how many times you've been prior lol. I remember a story my cousin told me of one of her visits there, no one appeared to be lining up in any kind of order and one of the customer service advisors got frustrated with the mahem and came into the main reception shouting, "Oya! Green kpali to the left, Britico to the right!" She had to translate for the confused looking white folks next to her lol.

Good on you with your concern for orphans. There's a wonderful charity called Street Child Africa you WILL love. Check it out and let me know what you think!

x

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

oh nigerians....